Thursday, December 9, 2010

Giving Thanks for Green Veggies

For Thanksgiving this year we were at my mom and dad's house. I was put in charge of coming up with a green veggie for Wednesday night's dinner and one for The Big Feast on Thursday. Wednesday I made Dressed Asparagus on page 215. It came out great and everyone really liked it. The sauce was light and delicious and not too overpowering. Of course on Thursday the kitchen was super busy so finding room for everyone to work on their portion of the dinner was challenging. For Thanksgiving I chose Minted Peas on page 221. Just like the asparagus, with just a few easy ingredients, these veggies go from boring and bland to special and interesting. I ended up burning my first batch of minted peas because I didn't have all of my ingredients together and I was running around too much. I started over and they were done just as the turkey was heading to the table. Speaking of the turkey, my mom used some tips from the Roast Dinners section of the cook book and we all agreed it was one of the best birds we've ever had.
Recipes cooked: 82
Recipes left: 91
Days left: 100 (YIKES!)

If you'd like to try the asparagus here's a short version of the recipe:
Trim your asparagus to get ready to cook.
Whisk together:
• 3 Tbs olive oil
• 1 tsp Dijon mustard
• 1 Tbs red wine vinegar
• a pinch of minced fresh parsley
• salt and pepper to taste
Cook your asparagus on the stovetop in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, depending on thickness. Mine was sort of a medium thickness and it took about 2 minutes. Put in a serving dish and drizzle the vinaigrette over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment