Saturday, December 11, 2010

"Not Looking Forward To It" Ice Cream

That title doesn't even make any sense, does it? How can someone not look forward to ice cream? I love, love, love i-c-e-c-r-e-a-m (as we sometimes call it when my toddler is around). I have never met an ice cream I didn't like but two of Jamie's ice cream concoctions (pg.326) I knew I wouldn't be able to sell to the family, let alone myself. So, while husband was on his business trip, I put them together one night. I knew no one would eat them but a deal's a deal right? They had to get made at some point. So, here they are along with a short review.

Rum and raisins with vanilla ice cream: On low heat, you warm a good "lug" of rum with a handful of raisins. You put this mixture in the bottom of a bowl and then put a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top and then sprinkle some chocolate shavings on top of that.

Review: This one wasn't too bad but I'm just not that keen on "hot raisins" (unless they are in muffins or some other delicious baked good.)

Sliced orange and malt with chocolate ice cream: Peel an orange and slice it into rounds. Place these in the bottom of a serving bowl. Melt a pat of butter in a pan on the stove and add one tablespoon of quick cook oats to it. Stir this mixture occasionally until it is nice and crunchy and then remove the pan from the heat. Dust a plate with a tablespoon of malted milk powder (I actually just used some mashed up Whoppers that were left over from Halloween) and quickly roll a scoop of chocolate ice cream in it until lightly coated. Place the ice cream on top of the oranges and top with the crunchy oats.

Review: I think I've said before that I just have never liked the orange and chocolate combo so I knew I was just making this to check it off my list. The ice cream rolled in the mashed up Whoppers looked very nice and tasted good with the oat topping but I just couldn't eat the oranges with it. I'm sure if you like the chocolate and orange thing, you'd like it a lot.

Recipes cooked: 85
Recipes left: 88
Days left: 92

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's dedication! I have yet to do a recipe I know I won't like. Thanks for the tip on what to use for malted milk powder! ;)

    ReplyDelete