Tuesday, December 7, 2010

A Rookie Mistake

My sweet daughter had been asking to help me with a recipe and one night while husband was at a meeting I thought she and I could make Quick Steamed Microwave Pudding Cakes on page 333. We were leaving the next day for a surprise trip that she didn't know about and I was very anxious to get another recipe done before we left. I was a tad stressed and feeling a bit under the gun to get the long list of things done before we left the next day. Oh, its important to know that I would be picking her up early from school the next day, taking her to the airport and then we were going to Disney World! Just the two of us and she had no idea! Aren't I an awesome mom? I had it in my head that I needed to get this done that night. I had bought the ingredients early in the week and I knew I had everything. We started to measuring and mixing and the third ingredient was baking soda. Well, doesn't everyone have baking soda in their cabinet? Not me. I searched high and low but all I could find was baking powder. After a bit of googling I found that you can triple the amount of baking soda with baking powder and that would work. The next ingredient was eggs. I went to get them and they were…gone. Crap! What happened to the eggs? Right…we had breakfast for dinner and husband must have used them all. Oh, and I guess I used them too (see previous entry on poached eggs). So now I'm very mad and am back at the computer googling for what I can substitute for eggs. Turns out that you can sub bananas for eggs. Who knew? I'm thinking this entire time that Jamie Oliver would not recognize this recipe when I'm done with it. Its now past her bedtime, the mini cakes must be destroyed and I'm banging things around the kitchen and cursing under my breath. Isn't this fun? Aren't I an awesome mom?

Lesson: Triple check your ingredients before beginning!

By the way, the mini cakes actually turned out pretty good, a bit banana-y but tasty. Oh, and we had an awesome girl trip to Disney World.
Recipes cooked: 80
Recipes left: 93
Days left: 108

3 comments:

  1. Wow, thank goodness for Google!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha this sounds so much like me! What can I substitute? Glad they turned out and yes, you are an awesome mom! :)

    ReplyDelete