Friday, December 10, 2010

The Sous Chef, Part 2

Husband was out of town last week and I was still frantically catching up on some cooking. My Dad came to help with the kids and keep me company so I tried to find a recipe that I knew husband wouldn't miss eating. Since he isn't a huge mushroom fan, I first looked for something with mushrooms and came up with a recipe in the Twenty-Minute meal chapter, Chicken and Leek Stroganoff on page 34. I really had a great time cooking with my Dad. He was an excellent sous chef once again. I really loved having someone to do the chopping since its never my favorite part. This is really yummy and I think it will become a staple in my house despite the mushrooms!
Recipes cooked: 83
Recipes left: 90
Days left: 95



Here's the recipe. Give it a try.

Chicken and Leek Stroganoff
from Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution pg. 34

Ingredients
sea salt
1/4 cup long grain or basmati rice 
1 large leek
a big handful of crimini or oyster mushrooms 
2 chicken breasts 
olive oil
a pat of butter
a glass of white wine
freshly ground black pepper
a bunch of fresh parsley
1 3/4 cups heavy cream
1 lemon
Method
Pour boiling water from the kettle into a 2 quart saucepan, place on a high heat and add a pinch of sea salt. Add your rice, bring back to a boil, then turn the heat down slightly. Cook for the length of time given in the instructions on the package.
Cut both ends off the leek, quarter lengthways, slice across thinly, then wash well under running water. Slice the mushrooms. Slice the chicken breasts into little finger-size pieces.
Put a large frying pan on a high heat and add a good lug of olive oil and a pat of butter. Add the leek to the pan with the white wine, a small glass of water, and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Let it bubble away for 5 minutes, covered loosely with a piece of aluminum foil. Meanwhile, finely chop the parsley, stalks and all. Remove the foil and add the chicken strips, most of the parsley, the cream, and the mushrooms. Stir, bring back to a boil, then turn the heat down to medium and simmer for 10 minutes. Drain your rice. Just before serving, cut your lemon in half and squeeze the juice of one half into the stroganoff. Season to taste.
Spoon some rice onto each plate and top with the stroganoff. Scatter with the rest of the chopped parsley. Serve with the other lemon half, cut into wedges.

4 comments:

  1. I love to chop! Would be honored to be your sous chef sometime soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you enjoyed this one - I have been putting it off because I have a mushroom hater and an onion (leek) hater. LOL. I myself love both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell your dad he is welcome at my house any time...although preferably in the Spring when he can wash my car in addition to being my sous chef. Miss you all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this sounds really good. Plus, I always enjoy a recipe that requires me to break open a bottle of wine.

    ReplyDelete