Monday, March 21, 2011

Fish Pie Gets a Public Relations Makeover

2 Days Left….

March 4, 2011: I have today and tomorrow. That's it. Today I am tackling Fish Pie (pg. 285)and also the first part of Jamie's Vanilla Cheesecake which will be the dessert for my final meal tomorrow night. I'll tell you all about the cheesecake tomorrow. Let's talk about Fish Pie.

Fish Pie. This is one I have NOT been looking forward to making. Pie is for sweet. Pie is for apples or berries. It is not for fish. My last meal tomorrow is made up of recipes that I have “saved” for the last meal, the fish pie recipe has been "put off until the end."  It just didn't sound good to me. I have even put it off for a night when I know I'm not going to be eating it. My plan is to make it for Husband and walk right out the door for a fundraiser. I will not be eating this Fish Pie thing.

I start putting it together. I peel and boil some potatoes for the topping. I grate some carrot, celery and cheese into the bottom of a casserole dish. As I'm mixing in the shrimp and the white cod I'm starting to get a better sense of what this fish pie is all about and now it is starting to actually sound good. I can hear Jamie laughing at me again! It is now that I realize the real problem with Fish Pie, its name. It really just needs a good PR person. Have I mentioned before that I'm a Public Relations professional? So, this Fish Pie is in luck. Let's rename it Seafood Casserole. There. Doesn't that sound better? Its a yummy seafood casserole with veggies, cheese, shrimp and nice white flaky fish topped with mashed potatoes. How could anyone not want to eat that? I ended up stealing a few bites before I left and I loved it. I know my family will be enjoying SEAFOOD CASSEROLE for many years to come.

Recipes cooked: 166
Recipes left: 7
Days left: 2

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-pie?clicked_from_search_results=true&query=fish%20pie

4 comments:

  1. mmmm savory pies are GOOD. chicken pie, especially, though i think your seafood casserole sounds lovely. It was easy? didn't take three hours and every utensil in the kitchen to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super easy! Boil and peel potatoes, grater for the veggies right into the casserole dish. Mix. Mash potatoes and put them on top and then bake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I could think of when I read this post was one of the Simpsons Halloween episodes. It was based on the Sherlock Holmes stories and Lisa cuaght the murderer because he was leaving bits of eel pie at the crime scenes.

    ReplyDelete