Thursday, January 10, 2013

Quiet Christmas Roast


For the first year in a long time, it was just the four of us on Christmas Day. It was a relaxing and quiet morning. The kids played all day with their toys in their pajamas, we watched the Disney parade on television and took our time assembling dinosaurs, Star Wars spaceships and playing new board games. Since it was just us, I knew I didn't need to make a big meal but I still wanted something festive so I picked this:

Jamie Oliver's Meals in Minutes pg. 194-196
Serves 4

Roast Beef
Baby Popovers
Little Carrots
Crispy Potatoes
Super-Quick Gravy

I was terribly sick the week before Christmas, which for a mother of two wreaks havoc on your holiday planning. Ironically, I had done Food Revolution's Google+ Hangout with some other Food Revolution Ambassadors and meal planning was one of our big messages. Now, I am not very good in the meal planning department, so much so that it is now this year's Food RESOLUTION. But, the Hangout had inspired me and before illness struck I had all of my Christmas shopping done and meals planned. Despite all of the planning, I was too sick to go shopping so I needed to send Husband out for the things we didn't have on hand, the main thing being the Roast. He must have looked petrified at the meat counter because in addition to the perfect roast, they sent him home with a special book on how to cook meat. 

So, on Christmas Day, after the presents were opened and the parade was over, we all huddled around the TV to watch Jamie's episode on the Roast Beef meal. The kids were glued to it and I was hoping that meant I would have a few helpers in the kitchen later. The toys were just a little too tempting even for my oldest one who is usually right by my side when I'm cooking.



What I liked best about this menu is that you can get the payoff of delicious comfort food (who doesn't like a hot roast beef dinner) but it doesn't require all day to cook. I will most definitely be making this one again! 




No comments:

Post a Comment