Friday, January 21, 2011

Fish Cakes, Olives and Mutiny!

My revolution crew has been quite friendly and cooperative up until now. I really shouldn't complain. But last week, there was a mutiny onboard my Revolution ship.
Now I completely predicted that there would be some groaning to the evening's recipe, Salmon Fish Cakes (pg. 280). We're Marylanders, its crab cakes or no cakes! But, a deal's a deal so I whipped up some during afternoon nap and hoped for the best. I thought it would help if I made them when no one was watching me. Now, Jamie recommends that you serve the cakes with the Tomato, Basil and Olive Sauce (pg.269) which I still hadn't made and I had all the ingredients. I thought that would be a great way to check another recipe off the list and try Jamie's recommendation. So, its dinner time and everyone starts wandering around the kitchen.
"So, what's for dinner?" they asked. Without comment, I unveiled the fish cakes from the fridge, presenting them to the crew.
"Hmm. They look good," husband and kid both said. "How do you eat them? Like a sandwich?"
"Well," I said as I opened the cookbook, "we're actually going to make this sauce to put on top of them."
Practically in unison the two of them said, "No way. No olives."
"Really?" I ask.
"Really!"
Okay, so this crew has been with me for 315 days and have tasted 117 recipes and now they balk at black olives? I was shocked. I expected the salmon cakes to need some selling, not the olives. But, since I really need their support for another 50 days, I decided to throw the olives overboard and make the sauce without them.

The sauce and the fish cakes calmed the crew down and we set sail for our next port.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fish-recipes/fish-cakes

Recipes cooked: 119
Recipes left: 54
Days left: 50

No comments:

Post a Comment