Thursday, January 20, 2011

I LOVE SWEET POTATOES

I love sweet potatoes. Baked. Fluffed. Boiled. Grilled. You name it. I love them so much it's what I call my kids as a term of endearment, instead of say "Sweet Pea." Peas are great but they're no sweet potato. When I go out to eat, I always skim the menu first for the sides that come with each entree and I will order something based on if it has this fantastic veggie served with it.
I have been DYING to make Sweet Potato and Chorizo soup (pg.131) since I bought Jamie's book many moons ago. I hadn't made it yet because
1. I was waiting for the perfect cold winter day and
2. I needed to time it just right because unfortunately, no one else in my house shares my love of Sweet Potatoes.
Husband though does love spicy Chorizo sausage and I was hoping this would be my selling point. In order to make my recipe quota for the busy week I actually started making this soup at 8 o'clock at night. It was done in time for our 9 o'clock show. When I showed Husband what I was making he said, "Oh, I'll have a taste." Two bowls EACH later we had quickly promoted this recipe to our "favorites" list. It is amazing. We actually fought over the leftovers. He forgot to take his leftover portion to work and I ate it. And I didn't feel at all guilty about it.

Recipes cooked: 117
Recipes left: 56
Days left: 51

If you haven't tried a recipe yet, this one is a must….

Sweet Potato and Chorizo Soup
From Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution
1 3/4 quarts chicken stock, preferably homemade

olive oil

2 large carrots, peeled

2 celery stalks, sliced evenly

2 medium onions, peeled and rough chopped

2 cloves garlic, peeled and sliced

1 3/4 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and rough chopped

7 ounces chorizo sausage, sliced

small bunch fresh parsley, fine chopped

1 heaped teaspoon Madras curry powder

sea salt and freshly ground black pepper

1 fresh red chile, fine diced (This is just for garnish at the end, I bought very spicy sausage so I actually topped mine with either plain yogurt or grated cheddar and also some nutmeg)

Bring the stock to boil in a saucepan. Let it simmer on the back burner.
Bring a large pot to medium-high heat. Pour in the olive oil. Put all the chopped and sliced foods (all the veggies and the chorizo) into the hot oil. Add the curry powder and mix it all up. Cook until the carrots have softened but are not falling apart and the onions have turned a little golden, about 10 minutes.
Pour in the hot stock. Give the soup a stir and let it come to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the soup until the sweet potato is cooked through, about 10 minutes.
Season the soup with salt and pepper. Stir. Taste. Season it to your taste.
Blend the soup with an immersion blender (easiest) or by pouring it into a large blender or food processor. This part is very important and totally "makes" the soup!
Jamie says top with diced chile and serve but I used some plain yogurt and nutmeg.

6 comments:

  1. i cannot wait to make this!!!! i have chorizo and sweet potatoes in my kitchen right now. mmm....soup....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been putting this one off as I am not a sausage lover at all.....but I do love sweet potatoes, and anything spicy. Is the sausage taste overpowering?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the sausage is overwhelming. It adds lots of good spicy flavor but its such a small amount it doesn't overpower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. so is Madras curry powder different from regular old curry powder? I have curry powder in my spice cabinet, but it doesn't say "madras" on it. Just wondering if there is a different type of seasoning that i should look for, since i have a feeling the seasoning is important.

    and when you blend, does it actually puree the sausage or do you still end up with slices in the finished product? Just curious.

    i cannot wait to make this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just used regular curry powder and it was fine. We had some pieces of sausage in our finished product.

    ReplyDelete