Friday, February 18, 2011

Trial by Fire

I suppose it was bound to happen. There was a fire in my kitchen. I am usually a person that is good in tense or emergency situations but to say I lost my cool on this one would be an understatement. Let me start from the beginning…

I was making Broiled Trout Topped with Mustard and Oats (pg. 253) and Kid was helping me. We were doing great and it was a very easy prep. After drizzling a pan with olive oil you lay the trout fillets skin side down on the pan and season them with salt and pepper. Next, you smear a spoonful of Dijon mustard over each fillet. In a bowl you put a couple of handfuls of old-fashioned oats, drizzle with olive oil and toss, coating the oats in the oil. Sprinkle the coated oats over the fillets, give a pat and a last drizzle of olive oil. After this, we put our pan of trout in the oven under the broiler. Then next thing I knew something didn't seem right and I opened the oven door to check on the fish. Flames spewed out. And that's when I lost it. I won't embarrass myself anymore than that. I really, really lost my cool and everything that I knew I should do went out of my head. Husband came in, turned everything off and we waited for the fire to lose its oxygen supply and go out. When he finally took the pan out, I was still shaking.
"So, I guess we're ordering pizza?"
Husband scraped off the charred oats, checked the fish to make sure it was done and said, "No, it will be great!"
And it was!

Recipes cooked: 139
Recipes left: 34
Days left: 22

1 comment:

  1. OMG! So was it too much oil? That just seems so odd! Glad everything was ok though.

    ReplyDelete