Thursday, February 28, 2013

Rethinking Fishcakes




As many of you know, I grew up on the Eastern Shore of Maryland where blue crab is King. Steamed crabs, crab imperial, soft shell crab sandwiches and crab cakes were regulars on our table. If the crab was the king than my great grandmother Maggie was queen of cooking them. She was the best and her secret crab cake recipe is still the best in the world as far as I'm concerned. To this day, I will not order crab cakes anywhere because I know they will not live up to hers. Before my Food Revolution, there were only a few things that I could manage pretty well in the kitchen and thanks to my mom (who carries on the crab cake legacy), duplicating Maggie's crab cake recipe was one of them. Unfortunately, making crab cakes every night is not economically possible and I needed to learn how to cook other things. Tonight, that other thing was fishcakes….

The menu:
Swedish-Style Fishcakes
Roasted Baby Potatoes
Sprout salad
Fresh Zingy Salsa

pg. 148 Meals in Minutes


Now, I was intrigued by Jamie's Swedish fish cakes when I made a similar recipe out of the Food Revolution cookbook during Round One of Amy's Food Revolution. But as I was making them I couldn't stop comparing them to crab cakes. They turned out fine, everyone else liked them, but they just left me wanting a crab cake. In fact, that was all I thought about while making them. After watching the TV episode for the Meals in Minutes version of Swedish fish cakes though I had high hopes of redemption. I decided to give the fishcake a second chance.  I knew the first step was that I couldn't compare it to my yummy crab cake. Mind over matter, as they say. I gave them another chance and they turned out crispy, full of flavor and I ended up liking these fish cakes!



There's a video that goes with this one too so take a peak, and maybe give them a try. 


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqIRDcLqgUU


Meals cooked: 20
Meals left: 30
Weeks left: 9




No comments:

Post a Comment