Friday, January 1, 2016

Holiday Countdown #3: Shrimp and Corn Chowder

 f you’ve been reading my blog since the beginning, you will know that this is our go-to family favorite meal on New Year’s Day. So, it should be no surprise that my third and final holiday favorite is this awesome recipe, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Shrimp and Sweet Corn Chowder. The blog post that I wrote when I first cooked this during my Food Revolution challenge is still one of my favorite posts. New Year’s Day always reminds me of my great-grandmother, Lena. If you’ve been reading since the beginning you’ll also know that she was a huge inspiration for me starting this blog. I hope you’ll take a minute to read the original post and also this other post about Lena. Then, when you’re done reading, give this recipe a try! I’m actually heading to the kitchen right now to make it!

Happy New Year and Happy Cooking from Amy’s Food Revolution!

Shrimp and Sweet Corn Chowder

Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution

pg. 294

Serves 4-6

Ingredients

• 1 large leek washed and chopped • 1 pound of  potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch chunks • 1 quart chicken broth • Olive oil • 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon sliced • 1 2/3 cups sweetcorn • 1/2 pound large shrimp, peeled  • 1 1/4 cups heavy cream • sea salt and pepper • 1 fresh red chili de-seeded and chopped (This is for garnish and is great without it if you don’t have it on hand)• 6 cream crackers crushed

To cook

Pour the chicken broth into a saucepan and bring to a boil

Add bacon rashers to casserole type pan with olive oil, cook until golden and crispy. Using tongs transfer cooked bacon to a plate leaving the fat in the pan.

Add the leek and potatoes to the pan and cook for 3-5 min.

Add sweetcorn and shrimp. Add hot broth and cream.

Add a good pinch of salt and pepper. Stir.

Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 min until potatoes are tender.

Remove off heat and blend. Season again to taste.

Serve with chopped chili, crackers and bacon on the side. (the pictures in the book also appear to have parsley and not chili, I used that instead.)








No comments:

Post a Comment