Thursday, March 11, 2010

Happy Dinner

My family loves having breakfast for dinner. We do it about once a week or every other week at least. For some reason it makes us all happy. Breakfast for dinner usually falls on our busiest night of the week and last night was that night. The fact that there is even a recipe for scrambled eggs and smoothies in Jamie's book reminds me that this "mission" of his is to get people to do more of their own cooking. When I first looked at the book, I was a tad relieved to see these recipes, knowing that it would be something easy to check off my list. I can already make scrambled eggs and smoothies. Usually my husband and I tag team this and he does the eggs and I do the smoothies but last night I did a little more of the work (notice I didn't say all of the work.) Even though this is already a constant in our cooking repertoire we still enjoy reading Jamie's method and suggestions. He doesn't add milk. Interesting. I usually do. He talks a lot about the temperature of your pan and cooking over a slow low heat, stirring constantly. This is good for me too since as I've wrote before, I'm an impatient cook at the stove. One of his suggestions is to add fresh parmesan cheese, I'd never done that, so we give it a try. This dinner did make me feel like maybe I'm not a complete idiot in the kitchen, I CAN make scrambled eggs. And, like I said, breakfast for dinner makes us all happy. I poll the family at the table while we enjoy our dinner, well, the ones that can talk at least, to ask why they like breakfast for dinner. The kid says, "Its different." The hubby says, "Its easy." I imagine the toddler would say, "It involves smoothies." I think I like it because on a hectic Wednesday it reminds me of the weekend. Scrambled eggs and smoothies also reminds me of two of my favorite people. My dad is the king of breakfast cooking. He makes the best everything with love and gusto when it comes to breakfast. Smoothies remind me of my sister, its one of her specialties. Our happy dinner also reminds me of something my good friend told me this past week when she checked in with me to make sure I wasn't doing this blog for all of the wrong reasons. "Amy, you know the fact that you get SOMETHING on the table every night and that your whole family is around that table is a HUGE accomplishment. You should be proud of yourself." She's right and she's really reiterating what Jamie's book is about. Having your family around the dinner table makes every meal happy no matter what's for dinner.
Recipes cooked: 3
Recipes left: 170
Days left: 360

1 comment:

  1. This is so awesome that you are doing this!!!! Not only are you learning, but I'm getting recipe ideas from you! I love it. And by the way - who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?! It's a staple for Michael and me too. Cook on lady!

    ReplyDelete