Thursday, March 4, 2010

The "Pass It On" Pledge

So, I figure the next step is to open this book. So many of my cookbooks go unopened for years, unless it is to look at the pictures. I remember getting for a wedding present a subscription to a popular cooking magazine. The first issue came just a month after we were married. I really loved this magazine! I was working from home at the time, didn’t have kids yet and I read that first issue cover-to-cover and made ALL of the recipes in it. But that was it. I made a few recipes in the issues that came over the next 5 years and then finally let the subscription run out.

Uh-oh. I’m nervous. I’ve posted this blog, told the world and haven’t even looked inside this book! Time to get moving!

“Jamie’s Food Revolution. Rediscover How to Cook Simple, Delicious, Affordable Meals.” (Sounds good so far.) “By Jamie Oliver.”

The opening pages are done on old wallpaper patterns. I glance quickly over the Contents, “Twenty-minute meals,” “Quick Pasta," “Comforting Stews.” Exhale. Okay, I can do this.

Jamie’s introduction speaks to me just like the back of the book grabbed me in the bookstore. He asks for “a favor,” that he needs help with a food movement he’s started. Okay, a bit dramatic but I’m on board. He goes on to explain his inspiration and also the person to whom he dedicates this book, Marguerite Patten. She was a woman that worked for the British Ministry of Food during WWII and she motivated her countrymen to eat well, even during the war. She taught them that even with their food rations, they could eat healthy and provide for their families. They began to cook smart, healthy meals and the movement even crossed the ocean where Americans started Victory Gardens. Then he talks about the modern-day war of bad health and the rise of obesity. His plan is a “pass it on” pledge where you learn just one recipe from each chapter of the book and teach it to at least two more people. Hey, this blog can do that! So I turn to page 15 in my book, sign the pledge and also go to Jamie’s website to sign the pledge too. While I’m at his website I see that his show starts on Friday, March 26 on ABC.

I’m pumped! Now, it’s time to start thinking about some deadlines.

Deadlines due TOMORROW.

Did you know its National Procrastination Week?

It really is!

No comments:

Post a Comment