Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Pancakes Every Weekend

"Pancakes Every Weekend" reads the sign that hangs in our kitchen and boy, is it true. We love to make pancakes and sit down for a nice leisurely breakfast on Sunday mornings. Husband usually whips up the batter while I make smoothies, set the table and get out the fixings. We even have a "pancake puff pan" (as seen on TV, of course). Daughter asked for it for her fifth birthday, how funny is that!

Like most seven year olds she is extremely picky. In addition, she also seems to possess some sort of superhero sense and when she likes something, that’s it. She will take no substitutions and can spot a “fake” no matter what the disguise. This can apply to quality control. Blueberries are often rejected for not being the right shape and grapes are set aside for being too squishy on top. It can also apply to things like pancake syrup brands and even boxes of pancake mix. Do you see what I have to deal with?

My dearest friend, the Queen, told me once that making pancakes from scratch was so easy once you do it you'd never go back to box mix again. I did try once or twice but couldn't convince hubby (who usually does the work) and daughter (who can smell the intruder from a mile away) to make the switch. So this past Sunday morning, I felt like it was a big food revolution coup as I whipped up a batch of Jamie's "One Cup Pancakes, Tropical Yogurt and Mango." We were visiting my parents this weekend and I thought it would be a good opportunity to break from tradition and pull one over on them. While they were out on an early morning fishing trip with my dad I got to work.

The first step is to assemble the tropical yogurt. My mom had some really ripe bananas that worked great for this. After mashing two really ripe bananas, I added a cup of yogurt (I used vanilla but I think plain would work okay too) and a handful of shredded coconut and set it aside. Jamie actually suggests letting this sit for a few hours so that the coconut softens. I didn't read that part in time and that really would have helped so learn from my mistake and do this in advance.

Now comes the fun part. If you are reading this and have been a loyal follower but haven't made any of the recipes and didn't plan on making any of the recipes, please give this next part a try. You won't even believe it! In a bowl mix one egg, one cup of self-rising flour (all purpose if you want "crepe" style) and one cup of milk. Now this doesn't need to be in a measuring cup. Any cup or mug will work as long as they are equal amounts of flour and milk. I used one of my mom's coffee mugs. Add a pinch of sea salt and whisk it a bit and there you have it. So incredibly simple and now you've made pancakes from scratch! No partially hydrogenated anything or mono this and that! Just milk, flour and an egg. And no extra work than the pancake mix!

Now for the mango part. I don't know about you but I find mangoes way too tricky. I pulled up some YouTube videos and watched with the baby on the best way to slice them, but like always I still feel like there's a lot to mangoes I don't get. I tried really hard to make it pretty since the mango is more like a garnish on top of the yogurt.

Now for the test. We sit down to give them a try. Mom, husband and I try them with the tropical yogurt and mango fixings. Husband was frustrated with the coconut, again if this had softened he may have been okay with it. Kid, Dad and baby go for the traditional syrup and butter. I can't believe it but the pancakes pass inspection with the kid! (And everyone else likes them too!)
Amazing!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/fruit-recipes/one-cup-pancakes-tropical-yogurt-and-man

Recipes cooked: 21
Recipes left: 152
Days left: 307

5 comments:

  1. These were absolutely the BEST pancakes I've ever eaten!!! I'm taking a page from your adorable daughter's book and refusing to eat any other pancakes ever again. What a treat!!!! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I knew you'd like them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i definitely recommend using the self-rising flour. i tried these with all-purpose flour and even with the teaspoon of baking powder, they were not only flat, they were awful. I mean, throw them right in the trash awful. I'll try again with self-rising flour...

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is the one recipe that my son has actually mastered. This morning, he called me to ask what to do if he had no self-rising flour. So I googled it and told him to add one and a half teaspoons of baking powder and a half teaspoon of salt to his flour first. I can hardly believe it but I'm making a cook out of him. His girlfriend thanks me (and Jamie, of course!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks luckiest1! Your comment came just in time! Marie, I definitely think using self-rising flour would be the way to go but if you don't have it on hand, try her tip!

    ReplyDelete