Sunday, October 24, 2010

An Apple a Day...

You thought I gave up, didn't you? Nope! I'm still here. Just busy. Not too busy to cook, I've just been too busy to write.
So, let's get on with it.

Apples.
My last roommate before married life (let's call her JJ) and I would get serious apple cravings around this time of year. What was funny is that we never talked to the other one about the craving. Yet we would find ourselves in our oh-so-tiny kitchen after work with grocery bags full of red apples, green apples, apple cider, apple juice, caramel dip, anything to do with apples. Now this was normally a kitchen with no food in it. We were two girls working crazy hours, hardly ever home and living steps away from some of the city's best food. Not to mention that you could barely move in this remarkably small galley kitchen, so food preparation was very difficult. So each year we'd unknowingly both stop at the store on the way home from work, load up on apples and bump (literally) into each other in the kitchen at home. Then we'd feast on apples for days, probably only apples since funds were low. Still, every year at this time, I get that same apple craving and think of JJ. So, in honor of those days, I dedicate this recipe to her.

Baked Apples, page 343 of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/home-cooking-skills/baked-apples

Recipes cooked: 62
Recipes left: 111
Days left: 146

4 comments:

  1. Okay, I am officially inspired to try one of Jamie's recipes.

    And, I like that you omitted one of the primary reasons I didn't cook...No skill.

    Miss you roomie!

    JJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, I made these last week too! I used Honey Crisp apples (my favourite, and they are HUGE) and I substituted cashews for the almonds. I brought the left over baked apples to work, diced up, and ate them at room temperature for breakfast. Mmmmm mmmmm good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Miss you too JJ! Happy Cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Luckiest 1....That is funny! I guess you had an apple craving too? I also saved the leftovers and ate them the next day and they were still really good.

    ReplyDelete