Wednesday, April 27, 2016

How To Start A Food Revolution in Your Kitchen

 It wasn’t that long ago that I was like a lot of you. Each night I struggled to figure out how to get dinner on the table. We were busy and time was an issue but the bigger issue was that I didn’t know how to cook. I mean, I really couldn’t cook, not even a little bit. I had left home for college successfully having dodged the kitchen despite my mom’s pleas. At college, there were food courts and dining halls and take out and I graduated still not knowing how to make a single thing. My first job out of college was extremely busy with long hours. My cute little apartment was in walking distance of a beautiful downtown restaurant district. Not knowing how to cook didn’t really ever bother me. It wasn’t even something that crossed my mind until one day I found myself standing in my kitchen with two small children and THEN, all of a sudden, it REALLY bothered me. I needed to be able to feed my family. I didn’t really know where to start but we had just navigated our way through the holiday season and I was a bit sad that I wasn’t making good food memories for my kids. They didn’t have a food that they could say, “My mom makes the best….” So, I decided I’d learn how to cook. If you’ve visited my blog before you’ll know that it started as a New Year’s Resolution (“Cook More”), and then I saw a movie (Julie and Julia) and lastly there was a trip to the bookstore where I discovered Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Cookbook. Mix all of these things together vigorously, add a blog and a ticking timer (I gave myself  365 days to cook my way through his book) and then you’d have my Food Revolution journey. That was six years ago. Along the way I heard from family, friends and strangers who could relate to my struggle. The struggle was happening to real people and I wasn’t the only one that was wrestling with it! Some of it was my own fault, I was an expert at disappearing when mom needed help in the kitchen. But, some of it was a change in our world. How we think about food, how we relate to others around food and the time we spend in the kitchen all changed quickly. So many times I’ve had people ask, “How did you do it?” or they would tell me, “There is no way I could do that.” Well, yes, I’ll admit my method was a bit extreme but there is no reason why everyone can’t start a food revolution in their own kitchen. Over the next several weeks, join me here on this blog for a simple step by step mini version of what I did. We’ll spend a few weeks prepping and then our big kick off will be on May 20, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution Day. Be sure to join me on social media so you’ll be the first to know when a new blog post goes up. Next up is…”Getting On Track.”

Hope you’ll join me and as always,

Happy Cooking!

Amy


No comments:

Post a Comment