Sunday, April 18, 2010

"Egg"-cellent Stir Fry

This Friday, I made "Sizzling Beef with Scallions and Black Bean Sauce" (pg. 69). I picked it because I'm pretty sure it was the recipe Jamie cooked in the Food Revolution episode where he's teaching 1,000 people to cook. I also thought I'd give a Stir Fry a try. I bought all of the ingredients at Whole Foods the night before and since the recipe only serves 2, I bought enough to double it. I wasn't ready for another battle with the rice so I cooked some of my favorite instant rice in the microwave, Trader Joe's frozen basmati. About a year ago TJ's had trouble with its distributor for this product and I went into complete withdraw and as soon as it was back on the shelves I did some serious stocking up. Our freezer is full of the stuff!
This recipe is super quick and you really need to have all of your chopping done before you start cooking because it cooks really fast. What I really liked about this recipe is that you add egg to the rice at the end and it really tastes like something from a Chinese Restaurant. Everyone ate this! Even the toddler!
Thanks to all my followers for coming back and reading. I'd love to know if you've made any of the recipes, bought the book, signed the pledge, etc.
I'm still working on plans for my first cooking party so I'll keep you posted about that as well.
Recipes cooked: 15
Recipes left: 158
Days left: 323

Recipe for Sizzling Beef with Scallions and Black Bean Sauce:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/sizzling-beef-with-scallions-and-black-b

5 comments:

  1. Amy - Every time I read your posts I giggle a bit since you are basically the person who taught me how to cook 10+ years ago. I had no idea you struggled with rice, or random other tasks (eggs?). I do too, but luckily have a husband who LOVES to cook. Miss you tons roomie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds yummy! how long did it take, with all of the chopping/prep?

    and, you can buy black bean sauce prepared in a jar?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're too sweet! You made my day :) Do you remember the Sesame Pasta/Murder Mystery Night?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It probably took about a 1/2 hour, Marie. The Black Bean Sauce comes in a jar and is in the International Food section.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I forget the Sesame Pasta/Murder Mystery night. I think Chris Donovan remembers it the most....who knew that he would be my first glimpse of what it would be to cook for a toddler who only eats fish sticks and chicken nuggets. My project this summer is to figure out how to shake her of the habit. Your blog is giving me some food for thought.

    ReplyDelete