Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lovin' Salads Part 2: Jam Jar Dressings

"In my opinion, the most important part of a salad is the dressing," says Jamie in his introduction to Jam Jar Dressings. I completely agree. Have you ever been to a restaurant and had a great, but simple, salad? Most likely the secret is one of these dressings. When you look on the back of a bottle of store bought dressing you'll often find my arch nemesis, high fructose corn syrup. I won't go off on a tangent about why I hate the nasty goo but one of the reasons is that it sneaks in some things that you would assume to be safe. If I had known making my own dressing would be so simple, I would have done away with the bottled stuff a long time ago.

This week, thanks to our amazing delivery service of yummy vegetables from (get ready for the plug) Washington's Green Grocer, we had salad every night with a different Jam Jar Dressing to go with it. The four dressings are on page 107 of Food Revolution and as the name suggests, Jamie makes his dressings in old fashion jam jars, how charming! I feel like a witch making her brew or a chemist working on her next concoction while I measure, pour and shake each dressing. Its awesome!

So we had Lemon Dressing on Tuesday, Yogurt Dressing on Wednesday, Balsamic Dressing on Thursday and French Dressing on Friday. We all agreed that the French Dressing was our favorite. The family also liked Balsamic and I really liked the Lemon one too.
Here is the recipe for our favorite, French Dressing. So shake up your dressing, in part 3 of Lovin' Salads I'll tell you what to do next.

French Dressing
Peel & finely chop a 1/4 clove of garlic
Put the garlic, 1 teaspoon of Dijon mustard, 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar and 6 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil into a jam jar with a pinch of salt & pepper. Put the lid on the jar and shake well.

For those of you in the DC area...
Link for Washington's Green Grocer:
http://www.washingtonsgreengrocer.com/

Recipes cooked: 25
Recipes left: 148
Days left: 302

2 comments: