Friday, May 14, 2010

Lovin' Salads Part 3: The Salad Spinner

A long time ago (ha!) when I wasn't cooking and before I picked up Jamie's book I used to buy those very convenient bags of lettuce all the time. Our family was just big enough to need more than a half a bag, leaving left overs that couldn't quite be used the next night. I have thrown away more of those half bags of slimy green lettuce leaves then I'd like to count. At the same time, I've bought countless salad spinners…for other people. In the front of Jamie's book he has an "Essentials" section where he lists all of the must-have items in your kitchen. Considering my kitchen gadget fetish I had most of the “essentials” except for three items, and one of them was a salad spinner. Both my mom and husband commented when I told them one day that I was going to Bed, Bath and Beyond with my cool 20% off coupon to buy a salad spinner, "You mean you don't have one?" I really was as shocked as they were that amongst my hundreds of kitchen gadgets there was no salad spinner. So, I bought this nifty new gadget about a month ago. Now I must admit, I was really skeptical about Jamie's method for keeping salad greens handy. It just didn't sound like it would work but it’s part of the mission, so I gave it a try. He says to wash the salad leaves, spin them and then lay them between paper towels in the crisper drawer and they'll stay fresh. Well, I couldn't really give up a whole crisper drawer just for keeping lettuce, so after spinning my leaves I used the salad spinner bowl to layer the leaves and paper towels and kept the whole thing in the fridge. Wouldn't you know it?! We had fresh, not slimy, lettuce all week! How cool is that!
Each night I would take out just the amount of lettuce I needed, put it in a salad bowl, and then I would drizzle the dressing and then give it a light toss. 
So, as Jamie would say, "Give it a go!" And have a salad week too!

Recipes cooked: 26
Recipes left: 147
Days left: 302

2 comments:

  1. I know! Isn't it amazing? I have started doing the same thing with herbs, like cilantro, too. They used to go to mush in the plastic bags, but not anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And letting your kids use the salad spinner is a great way to get them into the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete