Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Mother's Day Chili Con Carne

Mother's Day was great this year. I got a beautiful apron from my husband and kids, complete with breakfast in bed, handmade cards and lots of hugs and kisses. Husband asked what I wanted to do for the rest of the day. "Plant flowers with my mom and the kids." And I think my next request put him into a bit of shock. "Cook dinner," I said. This obviously is not the woman he was married to two months ago! This is not something that I would have requested any other Mother's Day!

I picked Jamie's "Good Old Chili Con Carne" (pg. 172) to make for Mother's Day dinner. The great thing about this chili recipe is that there are LOADS of veggies in it. Its got onions, carrots, celery, red peppers, diced tomatoes and two kinds of beans. As far spices, here's the shocker. Jamie calls for equal amounts of chili powder, ground cumin and ground cinnamon. I was a bit skeptical about the cinnamon and did put just a little less in than the rest.

Now there is a lot of chopping and dicing. Its good to have some help or even just someone else to keep you company while you do it. I had lots of help between my husband and my mini chopping gadget. After lots of chopping and dicing it really is just a matter of throwing everything in the pan and letting it simmer on the stove. If I can do it, anyone can!

The chili turned out great and it tasted even better the second night as leftovers. We had it over pasta although Jamie suggests rice with some plain yogurt and guacamole on the side. The cinnamon was interesting and we ended up agreeing that it worked in there better than we thought it would.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/good-old-chilli-con-carne

Recipes cooked: 27
Recipes left: 146
Days left: 300

3 comments:

  1. Do you think this would work without the tomatoes? I am not a tomato eater and have found that some recipes work just fine by simply leaving them out, and with some, you really need the tomatoes. But there are so many other things going on with this, that I wonder if it would still be any good. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the tomatoes provide a lot of the liquid and they seem to be the base, you might need to keep them. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made this too, and found the cinnamon a bit overpowering...so I bumped up the chili powder to mask it a bit.

    ReplyDelete