Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Chicken Tikka Masala

Before my Food Revolution we had a handful of dinners that we made over and over again. One of them was Chicken Tikka Masala made with a jar of Trader Joe's Masala Simmer Sauce. It was a real stand by and we usually kept a jar on hand for a night when we just didn't know what else to cook.
So, I was excited to try Jamie's Chicken Tikka Masala (pg. 82) to see how it compared and also just to say that I made it from scratch. Also, since making the last curry dish, husband has been begging for another curry recipe so I knew this would make him really happy too!
The nice thing about this recipe is that its pretty much a one pot thing which is great for clean up. In a large pan you first saute some onions, chile, ginger and cilantro stalks for about ten minutes in some peanut oil. Then you add the curry paste and chicken strips. This Patak's mild curry paste might be one of my new favorite things since it makes making curry so simple, anyone (even me) can do it. After coating everything really good in the paste you add tomatoes and coconut milk and some water and then it just cooks on the stove. So simple!
Husband and I both thought it tasted exactly like the simmer sauce from Trader Joe's. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. For a novice cook, I was quite impressed with myself that it tasted that good but at the same time it sure is a lot of work to taste like something that I could have just poured out of a jar.
Recipes cooked: 30
Recipes left: 143
Days left: 282

3 comments:

  1. I sometimes feel the same way when I spend an hour chopping and making a spaghetti sauce, but I like knowing that everything in it is fresh and wholesome and there are no preservatives or additives. I'm glad that your tikka masala turned out well! I love that recipe too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're completely right! Thanks for the pep talk! I needed that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Based on this blog entry, I gave this recipe a try. It really was easy, and everyone liked it. My first curry! Hurray! Thanks, Amy.

    ReplyDelete