Sunday, July 11, 2010

Charlie and the Chocolate Cake

This is the second summer that I've hosted a book club for my daughter and some of her classmates. For each book, we discuss it, do a craft and have a snack that goes along with the book. For example, last summer we read The Mouse and the Motorcycle and had apples and cheese for snack. Then we read Felicity about the Colonial American Girl Doll and we made butter and ate it on scones. The first book for this summer was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory so of course I knew I had to make Jamie's Mega Chocolate Fudge Cake (pg. 339).
Once the baby was down for his nap, the kid chef and I got to work. We only had a couple of hours until book club started. I love to bake and I'm pretty good at it but I wouldn't say cakes are my specialty. This recipe seemed so easy though, I was hoping for a "best seller."
We pulled out the food processor, put in all of the ingredients, whizzed it around, threw it into a baking pan. It really is that easy, the kid could have made it herself! (By the way, she wants me to tell you that she's quite good at cracking eggs!)
The recipe calls for 1/4 pound of soft fudge that you stick into the batter and this sort of threw me. Like real fudge, Jamie? How odd. Besides a candy store, where would one by such a thing? I quickly looked at my Canadian counterparts blog to see if she had made this recipe yet for some advice. She had! Thank goodness (the kid says) and we read that she had left out the fudge and reported that the cake was rich enough without it. So, we leave out the fudge too. Now Jamie says that the cake is "squidgy" and a bit moist inside but kid and I maybe cook it a little too long. If this happens to you, serve with extra ice cream and you'll be all set. For the record, the book club meeting was a hit and I'd like to think it had a little to do with the chocolate cake!

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chocolate-recipes/mega-chocolate-fudge-cake

Recipes cooked: 43
Recipes left: 130
Days left: 239

3 comments:

  1. this is such a cool concept (the book club)! i love it. and i'm dying to know - what was the craft that accompanied Charlie and the Chocolate Factory?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad it turned out ok! I thought the fudge thing was a bit strange too....as if everyone has fudge laying around the house? LOL If I did I'd be in trouble....

    ReplyDelete
  3. For their craft, the kids made their own candy bar wrapper.

    ReplyDelete