Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Catch-up Cooking Retreat

Going to my mom and dad's is like a nice retreat. The small town where I grew up sometimes seems worlds away from the hustle and bustle of city/suburban life. Husband and Kid were on a long weekend trip and going to Grandma's house seemed like a perfect idea for me and Baby. The week had been a little rough in the cooking department. As of last Friday morning I had only made two recipes for the whole week. So, I warned my parents ahead of time that I would be doing a lot of cooking. They were super excited and totally willing to help out!

Friday:
On Friday I needed a quick and easy recipe and looked again at the sauce section of the cookbook. I knew the Bacon and Mushroom Cream Sauce (pg. 270) would be perfect. It would be quick and easy and we could put it over pasta. Husband isn't a huge fan of mushrooms and I knew he'd appreciate it if I made this without him. It was so, so good and just as simple as the other sauces. Another Super Sauce!

Saturday:
Since I was at home in my seaside town, I knew one recipe this weekend would involve seafood. I headed to my favorite seafood place and got some tuna steaks for Jamie's Italian pan-seared tuna (pg. 262). We couldn't believe how good this one turned out too!
Check out the link and give it a try:

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/home-cooking-skills/italian-pan-seared-tuna

Sunday:
Its Sunday morning and I'm still behind. I really like the stew recipe and I still have three more to make from that section, two toppings and one last stew. So, for dinner I picked the chicken and white wine stew again but this time put the hot pot topping (pg. 186) on it, which is like sliced potatoes. I thought it would be fun to make a dessert too since I hadn't done one in awhile and decided to make Jamie's Chocolate Fruit and Nut Tart (pg. 344) which also meant I could check off another recipe, the Sweet shortcrust pastry (pg. 346). This brought my weekend recipe grand total to 5!

Mom and Dad were such a huge help and I had a great time cooking for them. I think they were in a bit of shock that their daughter had made them so many meals. They were happy and I headed home very relieved that I had checked so many recipes off my list. Now it was time to get ready for my cooking class on Tuesday….

Recipes cooked: 127
Recipes left: 46
Days left: 41

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for all of the delicious meals! They were all so good it's impossible to pick a favorite. It's always great to have you home. The recipes were a very appreciated bonus!

    ReplyDelete