Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Have I had a cooking growth spurt?

Plugging along through my list, I made Jamie's stew again, this time with "Chicken and White Wine" (pg. 180) as the main ingredients and I added one of his topping suggestions by putting dumplings (pg. 185) in it. I am getting quite good at this recipe. My sister came over the next day and I fed her the leftovers for lunch, she liked it so much that I sent her home with most of the ingredients to make it that night. There are so many things about that previous sentence that I just can't believe! First, the fact that I had something to feed her is amazing. A year ago my sister, my brother-in-law and my sweet little niece, Si-Wy, lived with us for about three weeks. I think I might have made them a real meal once that entire time. Fast-forward a year later and in just a week I have made them lasagna, chopped salad, chowder and stew in just a few days. I think they wish I had started this project earlier last year! Second, the fact that I had the extra ingredients to give her is something I never thought I would say. I noticed this just about a week ago. I'm learning what ingredients need to be on hand and my trips to the grocery store seem to be getting shorter and cheaper because I already have half of what the recipe calls for. WHO IS THIS AMY PERSON?!? Have I had a cooking growth spurt?

Here's the original beef and ale stew recipe. To make it with chicken and white wine substitute the beef, ale and bay leaves for 1 pound of diced, boneless and skinless chicken, 2 cups of white wine and 3 sprigs of fresh thyme. Reduce the cooking time to 1 1/2 hours.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/beef-and-ale-stew-1

Recipes cooked: 107
Recipes left: 66
Days left: 62

3 comments:

  1. Wow Amy - I'm seriously IMPRESSED! You go, girl! I'm going to try to make the class at Whole Foods - I need some cooking inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly! I would LOVE to see you. Hope you can come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ha ha- so true about last year when we were living with you, although if you were cooking this much last year we probably never would have left and you would still be housing us in your guest room :) Love you- Caryn

    ReplyDelete