Thursday, January 13, 2011

Super Sauces

If you've been reading for awhile, you might have noticed that I talk a lot about the show "Max & Ruby." Now, if your life doesn't include children and your planet isn't inhabited with the likes of Elmo, Mickey Mouse and (god forbid) Barney than you may need a quick backgrounder on this brother and sister. First of all, they are rabbits. White rabbits. The older sister is school-aged, likes to be in charge and always thinks she is right. The younger brother is around toddler/pre-school age and he communicates mostly in actions not words. Ruby likes to be in total control of the situation, dictating what they play. She plays with Max when she is interested and ignores him when she has other agendas. Max usually is trying to get her to listen. After many attempts and despite the fact that Ruby thinks he is too little and she is smarter, Max ends up being right and helps to resolve the current dilemma. My son loves this show. Loves. Loves. Loves. We live Max and Ruby 24-7. Its kind of an obscure show. Its not the most popular but you know what, THIS IS HIS LIFE. Even at age 2, he can totally relate to this little white bunny because his sister, the kid, IS RUBY. And he IS MAX. Its quite adorable. The week before Christmas, he got an early Christmas present of three Max and Ruby books….Sunny Bunny Tales, Snow Bunny Tales and his favorite, Super Bunny Tales. I have read these books over and over and over again for 20 plus days now. My little guy runs through the house yelling, "SOOOOPERRRR Bunny!" So, when making Jamie's sauces this week, you'll understand why, on more than one occasion, I thought "SOOOPERRRR Sauces!" These sauces totally saved my dinners last week and I hope they will rescue you from dinner boredom too. They were quick, simple and you can put them over whatever meat, fish or pasta that you have around. Now, I made one awhile ago and this week I tackled three more, here are my reviews.

Cherry Tomato, Caper & Balsamic Sauce (pg. 267)
Never in my life had I cooked with capers, I didn't even know where to look for them in the grocery store, but they are darn tasty in this super easy sauce. I put it over pasta and served it with a salad topped with Jamie's Chopped Herb Oil on page 276. I'll do a write up on the oils soon but, like the sauces, they add something unexpected but easy to your weekly dinners.

Mustard, Creme Fraiche, and White Wine Sauce (pg. 268)
Ooooh….not my favorite. (Sorry, Jamie.) Maybe I added too much mustard? It was a bit on the strong side. I served it over chicken and rice. The first few bites were great but then it just was a bit overpowering which is why I think I may have screwed this one up a bit.

Very Simple Curry Sauce (pg. 271)
This will be a new staple recipe in my house. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G! Please try it….
serves 4
-6 scallions
-large bunch of fresh cilantro
-olive oil
-5 heaped teaspoons curry powder
-1 tablespoon of butter
-2 x 14 oz. cans of coconut milk
-sea salt
-juice of one lemon

Trim and finely slice the scallions and cilantro. Put a pan on a low heat and add 2 good "lugs" of olive oil. Sprinkle in the curry powder and the scallions. Stir around and add the butter. Cook for 20 or 30 seconds and when it's all bubbling nicely, add the coconut milk. Bring to a bill and then turn the heat down and simmer for 2 minutes. To finish, season to taste with salt and stir in the cilantro and lemon juice. Serve hot with fish or meat.
Easy, right?

Recipes cooked: 111
Recipes left: 62
Days left: 57

No comments:

Post a Comment