Friday, January 14, 2011

Gadget Awareness

I've been wanting to try the Evolution Carrot recipe on page 116 for quite awhile. Twice now, I was going to make it for an event but we ended up not going and it didn't get made. I love the Evolution recipes but this one was a bit intimidating because it involved grating a mess of carrots. I wasn't crazy about this idea. First of all, my cheap plastic grater broke and I haven't replaced it. So the other day when I was thinking about doing this recipe, I remembered that my food processor came with a grating blade. So, I pulled out the trusty manual. I got this 10 years ago for my wedding so I took it as a good sign when I realized I still had the manual. In no time, I had yummy, freshly grated carrots. Husband said, "Did you know it did that?"
With my most confident face I said, "Of course." ;)

Evolution Carrot Salad
pg. 116

After grating my carrots, the kid was anxious to help put the rest of it together. She picked the leaves off of the mint and cilantro stalks and she cut them up with my awesome Pampered Chef kitchen shears (gadget #38) so they were finely chopped. We tossed the herbs in with the carrots. The kid did the seasoning with salt and pepper and then helped count as we added 6 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 tablespoons of the lemon juice. Next comes the evolution part. Jamie then gives three more steps that you can do or not do depending on your tastes. Kid tossed in some sunflower seeds that I had just toasted on the stove and she also tossed in some chopped clementines. We stopped here but you could also add pieces of pappadams (yeah, I had to look up with those were too) and some feta or goat cheese. This was so fun to make together and the best part yet, she actually ate it!

Recipes cooked: 112
Recipes left: 61
Days left: 57

No comments:

Post a Comment