Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Amy Had a Little Lamb

This is about my first time cooking grilled lamb chops, specifically Jamie Oliver's Grilled Lamb Chops with Chunky Salsa on page 244 of Food Revolution. I hope it won't be my last but it was a bit stressful. The key, I am told, is to buy very good quality meat. I got mine at Whole Foods. Make sure it is a payday as it will be sure to put a dent in your wallet. I'm really not sure what made it so stressful because it really couldn't have been any easier, maybe it was the fact that I had invested so much money in these four chops! First you heat your grill pan until it is "screaming hot." Cut in half a red chile and two tomatoes and quarter a red bell pepper. Drizzle the lamb chops with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Next you put everything on the grill pan. Start the chops upright with the fatty edges down and start the veggies out on the perimeter with the cut side down. Jamie says that the chops should cook for about 4-5 minutes in total, turning every minute or so and giving them a good press each time you turn them. Here's where I got a bit nervous and wondered what I was doing wrong. My chops took 20 minutes to cook all the way through. I don't know if it was the cut of meat or my pan wasn't hot enough or both but in the meantime the rest of my dinner got cold. Now, the best part was this hot chunky salsa. After the chile, pepper and tomatoes have grilled and charred a bit take them off the grill pan and chop them all up (I did mine in a food processor to save time). Add a bit of olive oil and some basil to your hot salsa and serve on top of the lamb chops. It was delicious!

Recipes cooked: 134
Recipes left: 39
Days left: 30

1 comment: