Monday, February 21, 2011

Valentine's Day Part 2

About a week before Valentine's Day I was at the pharmacy with the Baby waiting for a passport picture to be ready. I was really frustrated and not having a good day. It was our second (of three) attempts to get passport pictures and I was tired of dealing with incompetent high-school drop-out teens who were wasting my time and money. This guy was better than the first but he was understaffed and I was starting to lose my patience with him too. Baby had earlier in the week started this thing where he wants to do everything "I myself." I was getting a lot of "You stay her mommy, I do it I myself." This is fine except when we're in a store. Since we had some time to kill I thought I'd give him a bit of space and see where he thought he wanted to go. He wandered down an aisle and again said, "I be right back mommy, I do it I myself." "What are you doing, honey?" "I getting Mommy present." He came back with a little box of Whitman's chocolate with a football on the front of it. I practically started bawling right there and of course I bought him, I mean me, the very special present. I was still gushing at what my little romantic had done that day when Husband came home. "Hummphf!" he grumbled. I think he felt like this 2 year old was showing him up a bit. You could tell he was feeling a bit of pressure for the upcoming holiday and the next day I had a "First Day of Valentine's" note and 1 cookie. This went on all week: two movie tickets, three chocolate hearts, 4 Shakespeare sonnets, 5 StarBUCKS, 6 roses and 7 love songs. It was so sweet but by the end of the week, as February 14 drew closer, I was now the one feeling some pressure. So, Valentine's morning I gave husband an invite to dinner. When he brought the kid home from dance class that night, the baby was in bed and the kid turned into a hostess and seated him at our dining room table. She gave him the evening's menu and served him water and a bread basket while I finished preparing Spanish-Style Steak (pg. 235) and Posh Chopped Salad (pg. 122). Then, I plated the dinner, took off my apron and snuck around to the front door so Kid could seat me too. While we ate the yummy steak and salad, Kid serenaded us on her violin and then put herself to bed. She loved helping and later told us it was the best night ever.
So, what started with a little box of chocolates ended up being a very fun and romantic week in our house.

Recipes cooked: 142
Recipes left: 31
Days left: 19

1 comment:

  1. Definitely the best Valentine's night ever!

    ReplyDelete